North Melbourne Kangaroos president Sonja Hood letter to fans on Tarryn Thomas, explains decision to sack him, 18-match suspension, latest news


North Melbourne president Sonja Hood says Tarryn Thomas was “out of chances” in explaining the decision to part ways with the troubled midfielder in an emotional letter to members and supporters.

It was confirmed Thomas had been axed by the Kangaroos and banned from playing in the 2024 AFL season as the league handed down a monster 18-match ban to the 23-year old due to multiple accusations of inappropriate behaviour towards women dating back to last year.

The league said Thomas would be required to undertake a behavioural change program before he’s allowed to return to football at any level beyond his 18-game suspension from July 22, 2024 onwards.

The only place to watch every game of the AFL Pre-Season live is Fox Footy, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today >

The Roos have sacked Thomas (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)Source: FOX SPORTS

In a letter released to fans soon after the former Pick 8’s hefty penalty emerged on Thursday afternoon, Hood detailed the club’s bold decision to cancel his contract months before it was officially due to expire.

“Right now, like many of our North Melbourne people, I’m feeling a range of emotions – frustration, anger, disappointment but overall, sadness,” Hood began in the letter.

“This wasn’t a decision based on emotion – it was driven by incontrovertible, uncontested facts – but I want to be clear it wasn’t, and isn’t, easy.

“At North Melbourne we have a proud and long history of supporting our people, even in the face of external criticism.”

Hood said North tried to address Thomas’ behaviour concerns that had existed for “some time” – with accusations first emerging last year that saw him stood down by the club and put on a behaviour improvement program.

But when more claims of inappropriate treatment towards a woman were made to the AFL, Hood said the club was left with no choice but to cut ties with Thomas.

Roos down young Pies side | 00:58

“Our duty of care to Tarryn and to the wider community meant we chose to work with him to address his behaviours, particularly in regard to his treatment of women,” she said.

“It’s why we accepted our responsibility to seek help for him. It was a complex and difficult situation but we were all united in our determination to get the best outcomes for Tarryn and those around him.

“Tarryn came back to the club midway through last year pledging to be better.

“We are all bitterly disappointed that he has relapsed. And he is now out of chances.

“Last year he was afforded the privilege of doing his intensive education and rehabilitation programs within the structure of our footy club.

“From here he’ll have to find that structure elsewhere.”

Hood said the club would continue to work with the AFL, Players Association, his manager and support network to ensure he gets the help he needs, but emphasised he “won’t play for the North Melbourne Football Club again.”

Hood added: “Out of respect for her privacy I won’t say anything about the woman who brought these allegations to the AFL other than to commend her bravery and the dignity with which she has handled herself throughout this process. She deserved better.”



Source link

Leave a comment

Know the various benefits of hibiscus kombucha20 hours ago How walnuts can boost your brain and memory13 hours ago Would you like to try ‘white pumpkin halva’?18 hours ago Why palm oil is harmful for you1 day ago Try these seeds to balance your hormones1 day ago